SEK-CAP Houses Available Soon!

equal housing



SEK-CAP helps low-income individuals and families obtain safe, affordable housing. One of the ways we do this is through the rental properties we own or manage.

Sun Crest View Apartments-

These one bedroom and efficiency apartments are located in Weir, Kansas, and are specifically for senior and /or disabled individuals and families. The rent for these units is based on income.

Cherokee Duplex Units-

These duplex units are located in Cherokee, Kansas, and serve people who are 55 years or more and/or disabled. These one bedroom, total electric units come with washer and dryer hook-ups, a range/oven, a refrigerator, and central heat and air conditioning. Electricity is the only tenant-paid utility. Rental subsidies may be available to those who qualify for a limited time.

CHOICES Apartments-

These apartments offer upstairs living in downtown Pittsburg, Kansas.  They are totally remodeled two bedroom, one bath, total electric units with central heat and air conditioning, a range/oven, and a refrigerator. These units are not rent subsidized, and the renter must pay their own electric. Pets and smoking are not allowed.

CHDO Housing-

SEK-CAP is a Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO), as certified by Kansas Housing Resources Corporation. As such, we offer affordable single family and duplex rental units with washer and dryer hook-ups, central heating and air conditioning, double pane windows, and vinyl siding. Homes are located in Iola, Erie, Saint Paul, Oswego, Cherryvale, and Girard. Rent is not subsidized and ranges from $400-$450 per month, varying based on who provides the range/oven and refrigerator. These three-bedroom homes have a variety of floor plans and can either have one and a half or two bathrooms, one or two car attached garages, and/or storage buildings.
All of the above units are an Equal Housing Opportunity.

To qualify for any of these rental opportunities, applicants must meet income guidelines and all applicable program regulations. Please contact our office at 620-724-8204, ext. 1004, for more information about the availability of vacant units and application procedures.

The Kansas Relay Center will facilitate communication for Kansans who have hearing and/or speech disabilities. 1-800-766-377

Rental Assistance

SEK-CAP Housing Services provides two types of rental assistance:

  • HUD Section 8 Vouchers
  • Tenant Based Rental Assistance (TBRA).

We use several different income guidelines to determine eligibility for services; applications can be obtained one of the following ways:

Visit a SEK-CAP Family and Community Services Office. Our staff is trained to assist families to complete the application.

Request an application from our Central Office; it will be sent to you in the mail, at the address you provide. A request can be made by clicking on the link to the left and sending us your mailing address via email, or by calling our Central Office in Girard at 620-724-8204.

We are not able to fax applications.

Please note: The only rental assistance available in Elk and Chautauqua Counties is TBRA.

HUD Rental Assistance (HUD Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program)

401 N. Sinnet, Girard, KS 66743 (Phone 620-724-8204)

This program may provide long-term rental assistance to families based on their income. Families are expected to contribute 30% of their monthly, adjusted income for rent, and HUD subsidizes the remaining portion using federal program dollars. The amount contributed by the family is reassessed if they should experience a situational change, such as unemployment, employment, increase or decrease in number of people in the family, among others.

Families are responsible for locating the property they would like to rent, and SEK-CAP staff will then inspect the property to ensure it meets the minimum HUD Housing Quality Standards.

Families with HUD rental assistance may rent a SEK-CAP owned rental, if all other conditions are met. SEK-CAP employees are eligible to participate in this program.

Tenant Based Rental Assistance (TBRA)

This program is designed to assist people who are homeless, or about to become homeless, through no fault of their own. TBRA may help families for one year, at which time they would ideally transition to the HUD Program, if needed. SEK-CAP accepts TBRA applications based on the amount of funding we have available. Along with rental assistance, security and utility deposits may be paid using TBRA funds, including deposits for families on the HUD Program.

Due to state regulations, families with TBRA rental assistance are not able to rent a SEK-CAP owned rental. SEK-CAP employees are not eligible for this program, also due to state program regulations.

Applications must be completed in blue or black ink only, signed by all adult household members, and returned to the Girard Central Office. We must receive the original signed application; faxed or scanned applications are not acceptable.

Applications may be obtained by contacting the SEK-CAP Central Office in Girard at 620.724.8204. Applications for the HUD and TBRA Programs are only available when these programs are taking applications.



Stay Connected

SEK CAP Logo with Phrasing
Contact Us

401 N. Sinnet St.
P.O. Box 128
Girard, KS 66743

Girard Central Office

Follow Us
Follow Us on Twitter

Follow Us on Facebook